Friday, April 15, 2011

Ruffle Up Your Kitchen!! {a tutorial}

Thanks to http://seekatesew.blogspot.com/ for having us today!!  I am thrilled to be a part of her Ruffle Event!  I just LOVE that ruffle shower curtian!

We all LOVE ruffles, don't we?!  I don't get the opportunity to use many ruffles in my home, or on my kids for that matter...having a house full of boys leaves little room for girly stuff! 

I figured since I was using a aqua color handtowel and aqua and green fabric, it wouldn't be too big of a deal!  And it turned out really really cute!  So I will share this super easy way to 'dress up your kitchen' tutorial with you!


First you want to gather all your materials.  For this project you will need:
  • A spring colored handtowel {I got mine a Kohls for like $6}
  • Coordinating Fabric { 2 four inch strips about 26 inches long each} I found my fabric here
  • scissors or a rotary cutter
  • a ruler and a self healing mat
  • Pins
  • Iron
  • Sewing Machine

Next you want to measure the width of your handtowel.  Now take your number and multipy it by 2.  That's how long you need your strips of fabric for the ruffles.  I like to make sure that we have PLENTY of ruffles, so I always multiply by two...you could even go two and a half if you wanted.  It will give you lots and lots of ruffles!


Now you can cut your fabric.  I cut mine at 3 inches wide, but wished I would have done 4 inches for a thicker ruffle.  You can do whichever you like.  They will both turn out really cute!!  Your ruffle won't actually be this wide as you are going to fold over the edges and press so your ruffles won't fray.  They will end up being about 1.5 inches or so. 

You could even do 3 or 4 rows of ruffles, rather than just 2 like I did!!


Make sure your iron is hot and ready to go!  Fold over yout fabric strips about an inch on each side so they don't fray in the wash.  Press with iron.


Do the same to the other strip of fabric.


Once you have done that you will have 2 long strips of fabric.  Now it's time to make our ruffles!!


I layed mine about 3 inches from the botton of the front of the handtowel.  I trimmed the edges with pinking shears.  Over the washes it will fray just a little giving it a very cute and worn look.



To make your ruffles simply fold the fabric {make a little pleat}, the more messy, the better!  Try not to make it perfect and spaced evenly.  If you make the pleats really random and crooked it will turn out really cute and unique!  Pin each time you make a ruffle so it stays in place while you finish.


Once you have all your pins in and your ruffles made it will look like this!  Try to keep the line straight.  If it helps, draw a line with washable fabric marker on your handtowel to use that as a guide to place the ruffles.  A straight line will help when sewing the ruffles down too.


I sewed my ruffles about 1/4 of an inch from each edge. 
Don't forget to back-stitch at each end!!


Do the same thing with the next ruffle. Pin and Sew.





Try to stay as straight as possible.  I got a little uneven at times...but thats ok.  It adds more character! :)


Now your done!!  I also added a cute little chick to mine to make it more springy. 


Just pin and sew as close to the edge as possible.  Over time and washes, the edges will fray...leaving it very cute and unique!  I folded my towel in thirds, and centered the chick before pinning.


See?  What do you think?  I love it.  Looks really cute in my kitchen.  Makes it nice and springy with a little hint of ruffle!  I hope you enjoy making yours!  If you do, send me a link!  I would love to see it! :)





Happy Spring, and Happy Sewing!

And thanks again to Kate for having me be a part of her Ruffle Up Event!  Don't forget to check out her blog for the rest of the Ruffle Event!
Thanks Kate!


6 comments:

kate said...

so cute! I love the colors and that is a neat ruffly technique!

Bonita Rose said...

oh my thks for this... it looks easy enuf for me, since I am just learning how to sew.. thks! hugs xo

Anne said...

So cute!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-spring-ruffle-handtowel/2011/04/16/

--Anne

dandee said...

Oh, what fun! I love your ruffle technique, it gives the hand towel a more modern look. Well done!

Deb said...

I saw your cute ruffled towel over at Ruffled Up! Cute idea and darling fabric. I am a new follower...I'll be back!

BHphotography said...

Great tutorial! and fantastic pictures! You made it look like I can even attempt it! haha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...